[mesa-users] Installing MESA on a supercomputer (Richard Townsend)

Ben Brown bpbrown at astro.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 4 17:56:33 EST 2012

Kevin,
     To follow up on Rich's note: you are almost certainly not going to be
able to use the MESA SDK on a supercomputer.  From my experiences with
those systems (using a very different code), they tend to require highly
specialized libraries and compilers.  A general purpose tool like the SDK
won't work, because often the libraries being referenced need to be
compiled against very specific hardware.

Put differently, the login nodes and the compute nodes tend to run very
different operating systems and codes targeting the compute nodes need to
be compiled using the specific compilers supported by UCSD for Triton.
Which means you'll need to come up with a specialized solution for this
system.  I don't have access to Triton myself, so I can't be much more
specific than that.  Looking over the Triton webpages it looks like both
PGI and Intel compilers are available on the system:

      http://tritonresource.sdsc.edu/compile_jobs.php

If you run into problems, you might try contacting Theodore Sande
(formerly at MIT) for help in getting a version of MESA to compile, as he
has had the code running on large-scale systems in the past.

Otherwise I could take a look at Ranger or Kraken (supercomputers at TACC
and NICS; both have Intel and PGI compilers) later this week or next week.
They won't be a perfect match, but they may get you started.
--Ben