[mesa-users] artificial viscosity

jingluan at caltech.edu jingluan at caltech.edu
Sun Jan 1 23:49:38 EST 2012

Hi Bill,

Is there any other method except artificial viscosity to help hydro-static
convergence please? We start with a perturbed initial model. Physically
the star should keep vibrating for a thermal (kh_timescale) time scale,
but mesa damped the vibration in about 1 vibration period. I checked the
hydro_eqn.f and turned off the artificial viscosity, but the vibration
still got damped in the same manner. By reading the hydro_eqn.f file, I
did not find any other trick except artificial viscosity. Did I miss
something? Does mesa use some other technique to damp vibration please?

Thank you so much :-)

Sincerely,
Jing