[mesa-users] artificial viscosity

Bill Paxton paxton at kitp.ucsb.edu
Sun Jan 1 14:15:33 EST 2012

Hi Jing,

On Jan 1, 2012, at 11:06 AM, jingluan at caltech.edu wrote:

> I am studying the artificial viscosity formulations in MESA. Is there some
> published reference for the artificial viscosity in MESA please?

The mesa implementation of artificial viscosity has NOT been carefully tested,
but you are welcome to play with it and let us know how it goes.
Just understand that for cases with shocks, mesa has NEVER been verified.
So if it by some chance it happens to produce a reasonable result, it will be a fluke.

There has been a lot of talk about doing full hydrodynamics with shocks in mesa,
but the talk hasn't turned into code yet.  ;-(
Dave Arnett and I have scribbled at the blackboard about how to do explicit hydro
in mesa -- perhaps something will come of that by summer.  Both of us would
like very much to see it happen, but there are lots of other things competing for
our time.

For what it is worth, the current implementation of artificial viscosity in mesa follows
the description in this old KEPLER paper: