mesa-users] MESA/PGPLOT

Ehsan Moravveji moravveji at iasbs.ac.ir
Tue Aug 10 19:45:25 EDT 2010

Hi all,
This is my first post to the users list, since I have
always asked Bill and Aaron, and these nice people help with such a
patience. Their support are appreciable to me.
I wished to invoke the
pgstar capability in MESA, but had a problem with linking and compiling to
one library. As an Ubuntu user, I install PGPLOT through these series of
commands:
sudo apt-get install pgplot5
sudo apt-get install
libpng12-dev libpng3-dev zlib1g-dev libx11-dev sudo apt-get install
build-essential automake checkinstall

next, I check for the
path to pgplot5
root at ehsan:/home/ehsan# whereis pgplot5
pgplot5:
/usr/lib/pgplot5
and try to successfully make a plot. So, for sure, I
have a working PGPLOT.
Now, to use it in MESA, I edit makefile_header
as described by Bill as USE_PGSTAR = YES
LOAD_PGPLOT =
-L/usr/local/pgplot -lpgplot -lX11 -lxcb -lXau -lXdmcp -lpng -lz
-L/usr/lib -lXext
However,  I receive an error during the compile
process regarding the Xext library. The error is:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot
find -lXext
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [star]
Error 1

FAILED

I check for the Xext library, and
make sure I give it a correct path:
root at ehsan:/home/ehsan# find
/usr/ | grep Xext
/usr/lib/libXext.so.6.4.0
/usr/lib/libXext.so.6
So, while I have all required libraries
installed, there seems to be something wrong. I'd like to know if you had
the same problem, and could solve it, and also interested to share the
solution.
Best wishes.

--
Moravveji, Ehsan.